halftrackinfo

general discussion => what's on your mind? => Topic started by: Ace Maker on August 03, 2026, 11:52:10 AM

Title: Ca historical plates and driving
Post by: Ace Maker on August 03, 2026, 11:52:10 AM
Hello - I’m about to pick up a M2A1 with the rubber tracks -  wondering about historical plates and driving it locally to and from parades and such -  allowed? Any info appreciated
Title: Re: Ca historical plates and driving
Post by: 8683jb on August 03, 2026, 06:11:58 PM
I have driven mine among CHP and sheriffs with no issues. This is on county roads, not on highways that are controlled by Caltrans. There might be something on their website that addresses rubber tracks. You can check on this for your location, but if all you're doing is going to & from parades, you may not even need it licensed. I'd sure insure it though, and the insurance company may have licensing requirements. Good luck & have fun!
Title: Re: Ca historical plates and driving
Post by: emptyhead on August 09, 2026, 06:17:48 AM
I’m in ny and I went with plain old commercial plates. Wouldn’t give me passenger plate just to heavy. Cost twice as much but never had any issue this is going on almost 5 years. I try to drive mine on the road at least twice a month. Or more. You guys goin on the highway, I’m lucky I can get mine up to 35 on flats roads. It’s all hill around here.
Title: Re: Ca historical plates and driving
Post by: 8683jb on August 09, 2026, 07:45:14 AM
Ha! I hear ya, David! I wouldn't go near the highway!
Title: Re: Ca historical plates and driving
Post by: blue70chevelle on August 19, 2026, 07:37:23 PM
I’m in ny and I went with plain old commercial plates. Wouldn’t give me passenger plate just to heavy. Cost twice as much but never had any issue this is going on almost 5 years. I try to drive mine on the road at least twice a month. Or more. You guys goin on the highway, I’m lucky I can get mine up to 35 on flats roads. It’s all hill around here.
im in NY too and they gave me passenger plates and then I traded those for historical plates. DMV didnt care about weight so long as it doesn't have advertising on it, then it would need commercial plates.
The historical plate reg is dirt dirt cheap.
Title: Re: Ca historical plates and driving
Post by: emptyhead on August 23, 2026, 06:47:30 AM
What part
Title: Re: Ca historical plates and driving
Post by: blue70chevelle on August 26, 2026, 12:00:02 PM
What part
Long Island
Title: Re: Ca historical plates and driving
Post by: emptyhead on August 30, 2026, 07:10:56 AM
You a part of the museum out there
Title: Re: Ca historical plates and driving
Post by: blue70chevelle on August 31, 2026, 11:29:57 PM
You a part of the museum out there
I am. actually the deputy director
Title: Re: Ca historical plates and driving
Post by: emptyhead on September 06, 2026, 09:15:20 AM
Nice I’ve been out there twice nice collection
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal