Author Topic: rebuilding door latches  (Read 2737 times)

HenryVIII

rebuilding door latches
« on: January 11, 2015, 03:08:07 AM »
I just rebuilt the door latches for my halftrack. I thought I would post pictures of the steps so everyone could see how it is done. It is very simple to do and they are as good as new when done. I did mine because the springs were rusted badly and the latch was packed so full of dirt and rust there was no way to clean them out. 

This is the starting point rusted, stuck and nasty

lightly grind over the spot welds so you can locate the welds

Center punch and drill out the welds, If you center the holes good enough you should be able to use a 5/16 drill and remove enough metal to pop the latch apart. 

These are the parts inside. Only 4 parts pretty simple. I got a new spring from the hardware store for $.95 and blasted the rest clean and painted everything prior to assembly for corrosion protection.

Reassemble everything using visegrips. Make sure everything works correctly BEFORE you weld it back together.

Welded back together with the wire welder. if you touch up the welds with a grinder you should not be able to tell it was messed with.

Some paint and it will be good as new. I am going to use silicone spray for lube because I am hoping the dust will not stick and pack the latch full again.

I hope this info is helpful.
Henry
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 09:27:18 AM by HenryVIII »

woodwalker

Re: rebuilding door latches
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 08:56:29 AM »
Nice work

spec4don

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:38:21 AM »
My drivers door had a cabbaged up repair. Did the same thing works great now. Most of the repro's I've seen don't have the step down in the latch.

Don G.
1941 M2A1 not restored
1942 M3 Diamond T Mostly restored
1943 M3A1 Under restoration
1967 M51A2 Tractor
1945 WC 63 needs restoration
1967 M36 Long wheel base duece
1951 M135 GMC Fire truck conversion

Monkeypirate

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 03:17:23 PM »
Looks great. I think ill do this with the set i have. Don't have doors for my track but hey, Progress is progress.

yd328

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 06:08:46 PM »
Nice work, thanks for posting. I'm sure those springs are pretty tired in many latches.

Gary

Monkeypirate

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 01:19:34 PM »
Spent Saturday doing this. I ordered springs from Amazon that had a similar profile. If they work I will post the part number. I was also missing a guide pin out of one latch. Made a replacement from a metric bolt. chucked the bolt into my drill press and used a hand file to round the head and cut the collar on it. Also had to weld the cover on one latch. It was cracked in 3 places and missing one of the tabs. looks good as new-ish.