Author Topic: M2a1 progress  (Read 39818 times)

Outsider

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 630
Re: M2a1 progress
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2015, 08:41:42 PM »
Looking good.

Oil pan armor looks cool, but guess where every wrench, nut, and bolt you drop goes?

Steve
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!

yd328

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 539
Re: M2a1 progress
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2015, 07:24:13 PM »
Quote
Oil pan armor looks cool, but guess where every wrench, nut, and bolt you drop goes?

Yep, happened while I was installing it. I had to get the fishing pole out(flexible magnet).  ;D

Gary

Outsider

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 630
Re: M2a1 progress
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2015, 05:04:00 AM »
"Yep, happened while I was installing it. I had to get the fishing pole out(flexible magnet).  ;D"


Glad to here Murphy gets out to your area as well. :o

Steve
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!

yd328

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 539
Re: M2a1 progress
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2015, 06:23:16 PM »
I got the idler posts put back in the frame. They went back together much easier than coming apart after cleaning up the parts. I used 4 bolts to draw them back into the frame and keep everything lined up.
This whole adventure started when the track supply went belly up. I figured I should tighten up the posts as they had some play in them. I had a local machine shop turn down the shafts to true them up and bore the shackles to put bushings in.



steve1973

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1090
Re: M2a1 progress
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2015, 02:31:17 AM »
Gary,
Your track is looking great! ;D

Steve A.

steve-0

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1349
Re: M2a1 progress
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2015, 01:01:27 PM »
looking good

your oil pan armor left side mount has the top profiled. most of them are straight across but i have seen a few like yours and some even more profiled like the one i have in this pic. i wonder why the military did this.






yd328

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 539
Re: M2a1 progress
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2015, 07:06:36 PM »
The top portion was the only part left of that bracket left, I cut the new one to the same profile. The only thing I can think of is a bit more room for the fuel pump to be worked on or removed.

Gary

yd328

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 539
Re: M2a1 progress
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2015, 04:05:39 PM »
Here is the idler shackle with the bushings. I also had a thrust washer made to take up the gap with the shackle mounted on the shaft.
 
.
I picked up a steering box from Steve, here it is cleaned up and getting ready to install.


Gary

yd328

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 539
Re: M2a1 progress
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2015, 09:28:28 PM »
Stepping back a bit. I was asked about my winch to roller conversion so I thought I would post the pics. This halftrack was originally a roller model but the farm that it was used on cut the roller off and welded a winch bumper assembly in its place. I put it back to its original state.



The bumper ends were cut to make them flat to weld the winch assembly to. The ends and brace plates were removed and replaced, only the center bumper was reused.

The replacement roller assembly

The new bumper ends, plates and the roller mounts riveted on.
 

the finished product

steve1973

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1090
Re: M2a1 progress
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2015, 10:52:28 PM »
That's some fantastic work you did. Thanks for posting. ;D

Steve A.

yd328

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 539
Re: M2a1 progress
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2015, 07:33:57 PM »
Now that it is getting cooler outside its time to work on some smaller parts. Here's the gauges that I put together. All the parts were bought separately.


With the warmer temps outside I have been able to do a little painting using Christmas colors ;D



Gary

spec4don

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 790
Re: M2a1 progress
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2015, 11:53:50 AM »
Awesome, It's fun to do this small stuff too.

Don G.
1941 M2A1 not restored
1942 M3 Diamond T Mostly restored
1943 M3A1 Under restoration
1967 M51A2 Tractor
1945 WC 63 needs restoration
1967 M36 Long wheel base duece
1951 M135 GMC Fire truck conversion

yd328

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 539
Re: M2a1 progress
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM »
Now that winter is here I had to make room in the garage to get the honeys car in. I set the rear body on for winter storage and it will also be a bench top. New bearings have been installed in the rear idlers and installed the tracks, hopefully for good. I don't think I'll make the pit crew for changing them ;D. Here are some pictures of the progress for the past year. The windshield armor is set on to make a few minor adjustments.





Happy New Year, Gary

Tapper02

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 398
Re: M2a1 progress
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2016, 09:19:33 PM »
Nice progress Gary...bet it's motivating to see it looking more like a halftrack as you put on more parts.  Keep it up!

-Tom
1944 AUTOCAR M15A1 (M16A1) HALF-TRACK:
(Being restored to an M3A1 configuration)
SERIAL NUMBER M-15 A 1, 1356
MODEL M-16 A 1, ORD. SERIAL NUMBER 1106

MVPA # 30507

spec4don

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 790
Re: M2a1 progress
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2016, 09:54:54 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Looking good! Love seeing parts going back on!

Don G
1941 M2A1 not restored
1942 M3 Diamond T Mostly restored
1943 M3A1 Under restoration
1967 M51A2 Tractor
1945 WC 63 needs restoration
1967 M36 Long wheel base duece
1951 M135 GMC Fire truck conversion