Author Topic: M2A1 "Hell Hound" project  (Read 121817 times)

67tank

Re: M2A1 "Hell Hound" project
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2015, 08:29:44 PM »
Duck/Pheasant hunting season drawing to a close so hope to be making more progress in the next few months. 
A couple of my front armor plates had some cracks - Steve-O spent a lot of time repairing the original armor. 
My firewall had two busted "feet" - Steve-O used another firewall as a template and recreated the footings. 

Dash is coming along - PO had purchased the Vintage Wiring of Maine Kit - Just waiting for a few more items
Pat
1941 M2A1 (under restoration)

spec4don

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2015, 08:50:23 AM »
Right on Pat looking really good!

Don G.
1941 M2A1 not restored
1942 M3 Diamond T Mostly restored
1943 M3A1 Under restoration
1967 M51A2 Tractor
1945 WC 63 needs restoration
1967 M36 Long wheel base duece
1951 M135 GMC Fire truck conversion

67tank

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 01:07:27 AM »
Air cleaner done.  Steve-O made the conversion to a paper cartridge on my late style air cleaner - of course, I realized after I just completed painting this up that my firewall does not have the cutout for the air to be drawn from the inside of the cab.  Has to be cut otherwise the air cleaner wont' sit properly - Anyone have the dimensions of the cut in the firewall ? 
Pat

67tank

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 08:45:52 PM »
The weather was nice so spent the weekend working on removing the farmer mods.  The front bumper was removed (still need to remove the 8 rivets and bracing along the frame) and tackled the old gas tank and what remained of the bed.  It's slow going.  Wish I was 20 years younger.....
Should be able to get the passenger side and rear I beam removed this upcoming weekend then go back and grind down the welds. 
Pat

andy

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2015, 07:36:38 AM »
Great work Pat. BTW, your serial number 230709 was built as an M2, and should put you in 1941 that your track was made i believe, not 45 like in your sig. All the early parts would point to that too!!

Andy
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 07:38:21 AM by andy »
1943 M4A1 (restored to M2A1)

WayOffTrack

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2015, 08:43:43 AM »
In your last picture does that front crossmember have a factory half circle notch in it for the winch driveshaft? My crossmember had been cut out and I replaced it but there was only a little on each end remaining when I removed it so didn't know there was this notch. I'm at the point I can fix that easily now before I go any further.

andy

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 09:04:52 AM »
Not on mine, and mine was untouched

Andy

In your last picture does that front crossmember have a factory half circle notch in it for the winch driveshaft? My crossmember had been cut out and I replaced it but there was only a little on each end remaining when I removed it so didn't know there was this notch. I'm at the point I can fix that easily now before I go any further.

67tank

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2015, 01:32:59 PM »
Yes  the cross member has a factory cut notch in it plus a little torch cut from the farmer mods.  I will take a photo tonight and post. 

Andy as far as the serial number - thanks.  I was wondering when the halftrack was originally built.  What I don't understand is that although the original dash plate indicates that it was a factory rebuild to a M2A1 in early 45, the Halftrack has the the early parts (rear track spring, fender mounted lights etc) and no holes in the frame  for the late style hydrovac mounting plates....
Only a couple hundred M2's were sent back to the factory for the conversion - besides the removal of the skate rail and the addition of the pulpit what else was mandated in the factory rebuild? 
Pat

steve1973

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2015, 02:42:43 PM »
The main change to make it an A1 is the pulpit. Maybe it was a quick filed upgrade. Who did the upgrade per your ID plate and does the number on your plate match your frame? Not sure if this was brought up before. If the numbers do not match then it is not the correct plate. Not all M2A1's had all the extras such as the newer suspension, mine racks, pedestal lights, later brake hydrovac and so on. I know of two others in Northern California that my be similar to yours. I will have to check the next time I pass through.

Steve A.

67tank

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 09:45:50 PM »

WayOffTrack

Did you mean this? 
Pat

67tank

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2015, 09:47:59 PM »
The main change to make it an A1 is the pulpit. Maybe it was a quick filed upgrade. Who did the upgrade per your ID plate and does the number on your plate match your frame? Not sure if this was brought up before. If the numbers do not match then it is not the correct plate. Not all M2A1's had all the extras such as the newer suspension, mine racks, pedestal lights, later brake hydrovac and so on. I know of two others in Northern California that my be similar to yours. I will have to check the next time I pass through.

Steve A.

Steve - see page one.  Serial number and plate match.  Was the serial number stamped on the frame by the factory...that is the real question. 
Pat

andy

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2015, 10:13:39 PM »
Pat, Im sure when they went thru refab there were still blank plates avail and were stamped fresh. You definitely have an early halftrack, and the frame serial does put it in '41. Your lucky to have a updated plate, most M2 and M3 halftracks were converted to A1 in the field and no info who or when was recorded

WayOffTrack

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 09:41:22 AM »
Hi Pat,
Yep that is the notch I was asking about. I was wondering if it was necessary for winch driveshaft clearance.

I think when they mounted the winch on the homemade bumper they didn't get the correct angle and had to make that notch in the crossmember for the driveshaft to clear. Your track may have started life as a roller model.

Thanks,
Clint
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:47:08 PM by WayOffTrack »

67tank

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 08:08:08 PM »
Finished removing the side and rear i-beams today. Exposed the added on 1/2 inch thick plates which are supported by more welded on i-beams underneath.  So far I haven't damaged a bracket nor the frame. This is going to a little bit harder. 
Pat

67tank

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2015, 11:18:33 PM »
Had a friend over on Sunday and we ground off the rivet heads and he carefully cut the weld along the frame.  Then we just pried off the remaining bumper from the frame.  As John cut the weld, he was engulfed in a rust cloud.  Just need to cut the rivets down a little bit, drill out the center, heat 'em up and punch them out.  Thought I only had 4 per side to contend with but someone had already grind down the heads (on both inside sides of the frames) on the two furthest forward rivets- they didn't show up until we pried the frame apart. 
Pat