Author Topic: serial numbers  (Read 881 times)

Dan Boland

serial numbers
« on: November 11, 2017, 07:37:28 PM »
Gentlemen,
Where do you find the serial numbers stamped on a halftrack?

8683jb

Re: serial numbers
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 08:54:43 PM »
Dan -
Poke your head under the driver's side front fender behind the tire and it should be stamped on the frame there.
Jon
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:58:23 PM by 8683jb »
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

A National Acrobat

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 09:25:43 PM »
I have a chassis number but nothing else, is there any information to be gleaned from just a chassis number? I had heard that some M2's which were updated to A1 standard had their hood numbers stamped on one of the bogies but I haven't found anything so far?

judyron

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 07:23:55 PM »
My M2 that was converted to an A1 by Wylie Company had the hood number stamped on the front bumper along with the frame number in front of the radiator.  It was a roller model.

Ron M.

A National Acrobat

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 06:39:50 AM »
So I feel daft now, as it turns out mine is an M2 NOT an M2A1. I was speaking to a chap called Logan in the US and he pointed out that although mine has some "later" features (pedestal lights and twin idler springs), it is missing the cross member that was added under the forward end of the rear floor to support the pulpit. Now while there is a lot missing due to wear and tear, this piece has simply never been fitted!

After 75+ years then it seems this old girl will be getting an upgrade, sadly there's no way I'll be able to afford the skate and trollies to make her an M2!

Good look with your research. Bumper and bogies seem to be the places to look for extra numbers.