Author Topic: Rzeppa joint initial lubrication  (Read 823 times)

coreyelliott

Rzeppa joint initial lubrication
« on: December 30, 2018, 10:07:00 PM »
We are putting our front axle together and I've become confused on how to initially lube the front rzeppa joint/knuckle area.  If you look at the following picture, it explains lubrication at intervals but I can't find anywhere (I assumed it would be in TM 9-1710), where it shows how to initially lube the joint.

So, am I supposed to pump grease into one of the plug holes until it's level with the other plug AND pump in a pound of grease through the hole in the end of the axle spindle?  And I assume the plugs it is talking about are the two plugs in the second picture.  If we are supposed to do both, that means that we would have to fill the axle housing/cup area about 1/3 of grease and then pump in 1 pound into the end of the axle.  I'm confused!!!   ???

Corey
1941 Autocar M2A1 (M-13)

steve1973

Re: Rzeppa joint initial lubrication
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 12:24:34 AM »
Once your axle is together with boots in place remove plugs and fill with grease as described. That is what I did. A pneumatic oe electric grease gun comes in handy for this. The first time I greased my halftrack it took more than a case of grease.

Steve A.

coreyelliott

Re: Rzeppa joint initial lubrication
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 01:39:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply Steve. So you didn’t pump any grease into the fitting in the end of the axle spindle?  As little as this truck will be driven, I honestly don’t think it matters that much. But, I’d like to try and do things right while we are in there.

Corey
1941 Autocar M2A1 (M-13)