Author Topic: Bad snow storm last week  (Read 2571 times)

steve1973

Bad snow storm last week
« on: March 06, 2019, 06:51:31 PM »
Hi Guys,
Well, last week was a rough one. It ended up snowing at my place Saturday, Feb. 23rd. Living out in the country any little hiccup in the weather the power goes out. So, I'm just waiting for it to go out. Well, the snow got worse and my power did go out. Sunday, still snowing and no power. Same goes for Monday. Oh ya, did I mention that I don't have a back up generator or secondary heat :-[. I was not prepared for this at all. Temps dropped down to 50 degrees in my house. I had enough so I tried to get out the driveway and failed. At this point there was about 12 inches of snow and counting. I got my truck stuck so I tried calling a tow company. They all said good luck :P. I toughed it out one more night. Tuesday, about 14 or so inches of snow I tried again to get my truck out but made it worse. With more failed attempts to get help I took maters in my own hands. Halftrack to the rescue. I was able to drag my truck out and back on my driveway.

Even with the front axle engaged the halftrack still did not want to steer but instead went straight. I did manage to get it in front of my truck in an attempt to drag my truck up the driveway onto the cleared roadway. This time the halftrack failed me. It was fishtailing until it slid off my driveway. At this point I didn't want to get the halftrack stuck so I managed to get it back into the shop. I think if I had track and tire chains on it would be a different story. Luckily, my neighbor across the street was kind enough to give me a ride into town. I found a dog friendly hotel near where I work and stayed there for 3 days using a taxi to get to work. Wednesday I got power back and Tuesday I found someone to plow my driveway. I had a good friend give me a ride back to my house to get my truck and check out my house. All was good. I moved back in the house after work Friday. I have lots of trees down plenty to keep me busy.

As of now I have a portable in house propane heater on order as with a 12K generator which I should get next week.

As I am writing this it is snowing hard again. Just waiting for the power to go out.  :-[

Steve A.

8683jb

Re: Bad snow storm last week
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 08:01:07 PM »
Yet another reason why every modern household should have a half track! I’m glad you’re back in your own house and getting back to normal. Good luck with it all.

'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

Tapper02

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 09:36:00 PM »
Bummer Steve.  Make sure you get a carbon monoxide detector (battery powered) to use with that propane heater.

Interesting comparison that your mid-size pickup is nearly the same size as your halftrack. ????

-Tom
1944 Autocar M15A1 (M16A1) Halftrack
  (Being restored to an M3A1 configuration)
  Serial Number M-15 A 1, 1356
  Model M-16 A 1, Ord Serial Number 1106
1944 Schelm Bros. M10 Ammunition Trailer
  Serial Number 16959
MVPA # 30507

coreyelliott

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 11:44:02 PM »
Sorry to hear that Steve.  Sounds tough, but I'm glad you made it through.  I love the picture of your track when your hooked up to your pickup that shows, what I think I'm seeing, the front tires sunk into the snow but the tracks happily sitting on top and not sinking in.  If what I'm seeing is true, it's a nice example of the spread out footprint of the tracks.

Corey
1941 Autocar M2A1 (M2-13)

yd328

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 08:02:48 AM »
That sucks, that much snow makes it tough. When we first moved to our home the power was out for 13 days, lucky it was warm. Having that generator is a huge help. Like Tom said, get a CO detector with battery back up. A 4wd tractor may help too ;D

Gary

colkking

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 09:15:04 AM »
Steve,
Glad that you are safe!  Stay warm!!
kk

beerman

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 11:59:10 AM »
Well, hopefully this won't dampen your idea to move out in the country. gotta take the good with the bad.