Author Topic: Shimming the rear bed  (Read 1365 times)

R.E.Co.

Shimming the rear bed
« on: December 29, 2019, 07:31:03 AM »
The doors on my track were way off at the top
 So raised the rear bed to close the gap. It is finally straight after raising the rear 1". That seems like alot. Anyone else have any ideas? I don't want the rear. Bed to look odd and janky .

[attachment deleted by admin. sorry all images over 3000  kb where deleted automatically
1941 White M2
1941 Chevrolet G506 Civilian Dash
1943 GMC G508 CCKW 353 Open Cab
1918 3 Ton Field Gun Trailer

R.E.Co.

Re: Shimming the rear bed
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 07:32:17 AM »
Pic of door
1941 White M2
1941 Chevrolet G506 Civilian Dash
1943 GMC G508 CCKW 353 Open Cab
1918 3 Ton Field Gun Trailer

Torque

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 09:30:05 AM »
Mine had a crane on it and the frame was bent down through the doors. Did not know until I got the doors and rear armor on. Ended up bending the frame up some with an I beam and 20 ton jack. Still needed a 1/2" shim at the front of the bed and the firewall support to get the doors lined up.
 Yours looks to be off the opposite way.  I would check to see if the frame is straight, the bottom of the frame along the engine, the top at the doorway and the rear behind the axle should all be parallel. You may need to do what I did, bend the frame....

WayOffTrack

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 03:12:25 PM »
Mine had a crane on it and the frame was bent down through the doors. Did not know until I got the doors and rear armor on. Ended up bending the frame up some with an I beam and 20 ton jack. Still needed a 1/2" shim at the front of the bed and the firewall support to get the doors lined up.
 Yours looks to be off the opposite way.  I would check to see if the frame is straight, the bottom of the frame along the engine, the top at the doorway and the rear behind the axle should all be parallel. You may need to do what I did, bend the frame....

Do you remember if you had to shim the firewall support the same as the bed front or was one shimmed lower? I'm at a similar point now and had not thought about the firewall supports.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 01:04:35 AM by WayOffTrack »

Torque

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 08:07:51 PM »
I know I put 1/2" at the front of the bed and maybe 3/8" at the firewall. This does screw up other stuff, if you go too much the pedals will not hit the holes in the floor and the battery box floor will need shimmed up off the frame brackets.