Author Topic: Who is Bob Gillard?  (Read 3453 times)

Torque

Who is Bob Gillard?
« on: February 21, 2020, 09:22:24 PM »
Most of the drawings out there were done by him and the armor on my M2 (bought 3rd hand) was made by/for him.

Outsider

Re: Who is Bob Gillard?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 09:54:07 PM »
He made M2 HT parts in years past, He was based in Oregon if I recall correctly.

Steve
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!

steve1973

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 11:38:47 PM »
Yes, Bob Gillard is from Oregon. He's the one that created the CAD files. He used to sell halftrack and scout car repo armor and other misilanious parts. I bought him out of what he had left then he moved to California I think. I got his CAD files and a bunch of other stuff which is gone now. As for the CAD files there are many and all mixed together between scoutcar, M2 and M3 halftrack. I personally do not know CAD. I did sit down with someone and helped me go through the files briefly. The big thing I ran into is there are many duplicate files of everything, at least 3 or 4 copies of each. Some files are a mystery while others  that were promised are not there. Is it all what Bob Gillard told me is included, no. I was a bit disappointed. I have at my own cost had CAD files made of the track armor for the M2. Some pieces are the same for the M3. I would like to do more but it all cost money. My ultimate goal is to have a folder for each armor panel. Within each folder is a photo of the panel, CAD file, PDF line drawings and any other special instructions. All this takes time, money and someone that knows CAD.

Steve A.

RB-058

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 04:19:11 AM »
Hi Steve,

I've sent you a PM.

Rob
1943 White Halftrack M4A1
1944 White Halftrack M16

WayOffTrack

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 05:02:38 AM »
Is it all what Bob Gillard told me is included, no. I was a bit disappointed.

Many of us had this same experience.

mkoloc

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 09:58:06 AM »
Steve,  have you ever contacted the MVPA regards the archives of the original factory blueprint/drawings for halftracks, scoutcars etc? Those files reside in storage in Ohio.

Mark
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
Cell:  715-821-9426
MVPA # 31144

Monkeypirate

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 01:07:14 AM »
I have been going through the files for a while and trying to draw up as much as I can. I do it as a hobby and Can not validate any of the drawings so Ive never posted them. That being said I have had a a couple of fitment issues with Bob's files. Not sure what is wrong where. A lot of it is also put together off of info scavenged from the internet. If any one is interested in a DRW file of any of the parts I can post them. I will let you know if the parts are reliable or not.

steve1973

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 04:17:18 PM »
Hi Guys, I'm currently working with the MVPA on getting an answer on what they have available to us (MVPA members). As soon as I gen an answer I will let you know. Also, Don't get your hopes up on having armor plate patterns on file. Again, I will let you know what is available.

Second note, I appreciate those wanting to help me with the CAD files. The thing is what I have is hundreds of files, most of which are duplicates. What I need to do is sit down with someone CAD savvy and TOGETHER decipher what is what then put it together as a package for you.

Thanks,
Steve A.

Scout6734

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 07:17:42 AM »
I’m going to the archives that from what I was told has all the white factory documents the lady I spoke to said there are hoards of blue prints. is it possible they will have armor drawings. I’m headed that way in May. When I decided to make the trip I had spoke to a mvpa rep and was told they had no scout or halftrack blueprints.

steve1973

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 10:08:49 AM »
I'm working with Kevin Lockwood who at one time was in charge of the archives. Yes, they have hoards of items but most of which have not been sorted out. I have been told there are about 40-80 halftrack related document and am working on getting a list of what those are of. You can't just show up, John Cheney Sr. is in charge of storage, Thank you John, and is at his digression. Please be patient, I'm working on getting the list of what they have.

Steve A.

Scout6734

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 02:08:02 PM »
Steve not what I meant about showing up. I have a trip planned with authorization to Cleveland ohio, the western reserve historical society has a very large amount of material from the white factory they are in charge of. I was told by them there was wartime blue prints in the collection. I was just stating I may be able to help depending on what they have there.

Monkeypirate

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 03:58:04 PM »
I would love to have a chance to go through old archive's. The amount of history that is just hidden in basements and closets around the world is staggering. Good luck to all who try to find and preserve it!

Outsider

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 08:21:29 PM »
The archives are housed at the Cheney's in Ohio currently. To the best of my knowledge the MVPA doesn't have a lot of the crates of drawings inventoried yet. Col Halftrack my have more info on this subject than I do as a MVPA board member.
Steve
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!

mkoloc

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 07:58:40 AM »
In talking with John on my last visit there, many of those drawing still belong to the companies that owned them and though the MVPA holds the archive they don't necessarily own all the drawings.  That seems to be the issue.  The archives are very impressive regards their size.
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
Cell:  715-821-9426
MVPA # 31144