Author Topic: Removing Dynamo shielded connectors.  (Read 6456 times)

brit plumber

Removing Dynamo shielded connectors.
« on: November 03, 2020, 02:11:46 AM »
I’m at the point of my tear down that I would like to remove the Dynamo. I have the shielded connectors but as they are a bit corroded, and I don’t know how to remove them, I thought I’d ask before I go ahead and break them.
1942 VEP GPW

coreyelliott

Re: Removing Dynamo shielded connectors.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 09:18:21 PM »
I'm being dense, I can't understand exactly what you're asking.  Are you talking about taking the two braided cable connections to the generator (dynamo)?

Corey
1941 Autocar M2A1 (M2-13)

mfrance

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 09:35:33 PM »
Yes he is disassembling generator off motor and cable connectors

brit plumber

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 01:57:38 AM »
Yes, I’ve got the mounting bolts loose ready to remove the generator, but then realised I didn’t know how to remove the cables. As they quite seized I thought I would ask how I remove them before I take an educated guess and damage something by getting it wrong. One connector looks to have some sort of cap that unscrews but I could be way off track.
1942 VEP GPW

spillmk1

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 06:38:25 AM »
There is a round cap that unscrews so you can get to the bolt to disconnect the cable on the generator.
Then the braided line unscrews from the connector and the cable/braided line can be pulled free.

Make sense?

Keith
1955 M38A1 Jeep
1952 M100 Trailer
1941 M2A1 Half Track
MVPA Member

brit plumber

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 12:19:23 PM »
Thanks for that, it makes sense. I thought it had a screw cap but didn’t realise there was a bolt underneath. I’ll soak it in plenty of penetrating oil before trying to unscrew it.
1942 VEP GPW

brit plumber

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 11:37:46 AM »
So I soaked the cables in oil and I’ll keep oiling it up until I dare give it a go at turning that cap. How do I remove the connector circled in blue? It looks different to the other one with the cap.
1942 VEP GPW

8683jb

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 01:19:27 PM »
The one on the left in your photo is a condenser which just unscrews, similar to the cap on the right. Under those will be a nut securing the wires to their terminals. Once those are off, unscrew the nuts securing the braided conduits.
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

brit plumber

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 02:52:01 AM »
Thanks, I shall soak again and give it a shot. Would you recommend a little heat if required?
1942 VEP GPW

8683jb

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 09:59:55 AM »
If they're that stuck, you probably wouldn't have much to lose by using heat as a last resort. I'd try tapping around their perimeters with a light hammer and drift and then try turning them out. I've had some success with impact instead of heat. If you have to heat the nuts on your conduits also, the ferrules are soft-soldered to the braids and may become un-soldered. Easy enough to fix - just another side-project. Good luck!
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member