Author Topic: Need help with M2A1 top bows!  (Read 1229 times)

8683jb

Need help with M2A1 top bows!
« on: January 31, 2021, 09:20:00 PM »
I've ordered a canvas top for my M2A1 and I'm looking for some help regarding the rear top bow. Mine is a converted M2 and the original fittings that were attached to the sides for the top bow extensions are no longer there. Instead, where the extensions go through the perimeter rail, there are round holes and below those there are pockets welded to the bottom of the rail. The pockets have vertical pins welded to the bottoms pointing upward for the extension to slip over. This arrangement makes all the extensions vertical. Instead of vertical, the rear bow would've originally leaned to the rear at an angle, with the top of the bow about even with the rear armor. Now, with it being vertical, the top of the rear bow is about 8" ahead of the rear armor. If you use a top fitted for an angled bow, that would make for a pretty sloppy and sagging fit where the top turns down to attach to the rear armor. Attached is a photo of an M2A1 with an angled extension running down through the perimeter rail and out the side of the pocket and attaching to the original fitting on the side of the half-track. But that would require an elongated hole to lean the extension back, not a round hole like mine and the others that I've seen have. I'd think if that was the intent, they'd have made the perimeter rails with elongated holes at the rear locations. Are there two different tops, or did they just use one top and live with a loose fit at the rear of some half-tracks? I've only seen pictures of the tops with the angled bow. Does anyone have a picture of a top attached using vertical extensions on the rear bows? I'd sure appreciate any help.
Jon

Here are my extensions in place:

And with the bows attached:

Here's another like mine:

This one shows the pin and the round hole in the rail:

This is yd328's half-track (thanks Gary):

And here's the one with the angled extension running through the pocket:

'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

Torque

Re: Need help with M2A1 top bows!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 10:48:59 PM »
Somewhere I have seen pictures of bow extensions that were bent, never knew what they were for. Looks like they would be what you need to make the bow line up with the rear wall. Looked but have not found the pictures, maybe on the old computer.

8683jb

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 10:25:52 AM »
Thanks for the info. I'd like to see pictures if you do run across them.
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

8683jb

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 05:20:18 PM »
Does anyone else have an M2A1 with a top who can provide a picture of the rear bow and extension configuraton? Thanks.
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

coreyelliott

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 10:11:20 PM »
Hi Jon,

Shon and I are right where you are with our top bows for our M2A1 and are wondering the same exact thing.  Watching with anticipation.

Corey
1941 Autocar M2A1 (M2-13)

8683jb

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 11:54:42 PM »
Your guys' half-track looks great, Corey. We'll get this bow thing figured out pretty soon, I hope.
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

Torque

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 09:00:19 PM »
Found the bow extension picture on the old computer but can't get it resized. Tried posting from my phone but again too big for here. Posted it here:    https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=978525&mid=8804995#M8804995  Put it on here if you would, It's beyond me!!

8683jb

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 09:54:16 PM »
Thanks for all the trouble Torque. That'll get the top on - bend 'em and plug 'em in. If there was some other configuration, I like that there's no modification to the rail so it'd be easy to correct later if necessary. I appreciate the help!
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

8683jb

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 11:45:47 PM »
p3aflyer pointed me to some pictures in Hunnicutt's and Doyle's books which clearly show bent rear extension rods as in Torque's picture. The top bows were not attached so the rods were free to swivel different directions, clearly showing that they were bent rods placed vertically in round holes and pockets in the perimeter rails to be spun around rearward before attaching the bow, rather than the other configuration of straight rods going at an angle through elongated rear perimeter rail holes and attaching to the fittings on the sides of the half-track. The same canvas top is used for either perimeter rail/top bow design. Makes sense. Mystery solved! Thank you guys!
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member