Author Topic: Boogie Cluster Advice  (Read 2052 times)

ph5200

Boogie Cluster Advice
« on: October 06, 2021, 07:16:44 AM »
I am re assembling the bogies and need some advice.  I have both clusters back together, four wheels each cluster set.  There is a center shaft that runs from one side to the other on each cluster, this shaft has tapered ends on each side.  On one clister the shaft turns freely and on the other it wouldn't turn.  The cluster aren't attached yet but I need to know if this shaft should turn.

8683jb

Re: Boogie Cluster Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 10:29:34 AM »
After you install the cluster and tighten the nuts on the tapered ends to the bogie arms, the shaft won't turn but the cluster needs to be free to rotate on the shaft through the bushings.
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

Torque

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 06:26:43 PM »
As it sets now the shafts should turn. You don't have one of the side plates upside down do you?

ph5200

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 06:33:00 AM »
i will check the side plates tonight but I think they are on correctly.  The way it sets just doesn't feel right, I may take it apart and try some different.  I have an extra used bogie cluster. 

brit plumber

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 01:28:15 PM »
Rather than turn the shaft, try lifting up one of the wheels so that the whole bogie twists. When I lift mine, if it’s seized, the whole bogie is rigid, if it’s free, it twists and flex’s.
1942 VEP GPW