Author Topic: dash mounted fuel tank selector toggle switch  (Read 9409 times)

steve-0

• Administrator
dash mounted fuel tank selector toggle switch
« on: November 17, 2011, 11:26:26 AM »
fuel tank selector toggle.

i have looked all over for a toggle that has similar screw mounting to the original. i think they just don't make that type any more.
i installed an original in my m16 halftrack but i had to go through a bunch of originals before i found one that worked. the originals used a small piece of phenolic in the switch that will easily break.

im going to use a standard Toggle Switch SPDT, on-Off-on, 15 Amps.
the hole in the dash is correct at 1/2" but the aluminum instruction plate on front is 7/16" so you will need to enlarge that a little.

when ordering this switch from mcmastercarr you will need to specify the connection style is a screw terminal
http://www.mcmaster.com/#7343k731/=ez3y62

pic of an original
http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/IMG_04201.JPG

airservice

Re: dash mounted fuel tank selector toggle switch
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 02:51:40 PM »
hello
l have this one NOS with tag 

olivier

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:53:25 AM by airservice »

Outsider

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:38:53 PM »
I had not been able to find a working switch to replace my broken one. So I took my switch apart and it too had the little phenolic piece broken. So with a little thinking and experimentation I went with a piece of 1/8" dia (sanded down slightly) wooden dowel. If you make it the same length as the original (1/2") it will work as a substitute, if you make it any longer it will brake after a few uses!

Steve
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 06:58:56 PM by Outsider »
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!

steve-0

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 01:58:04 PM »
i have some switches for sale
$40 each which includes shipping.

steelworkss@aol.com

or buy them on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/halftrack-fuel-tank-switch-NOS-G102-military-/231739191622

this is a new switch but it isn't an original halftrack switch.

the originals where SPDT and these are DPDT which gives you an extra circuit
the advantage of this is that you can use this extra circuit to run an electric fuel tank selector valve or an electric fuel pump.
i don't know of anyone that uses the brake controller wires so if you have a new wiring harness you can use those wires to run the selector valve or pump so you won't have to run extra wires.

once installed these look identical to the originals
these are a 3 position switch like the originals

here is a part number for an electric fuel tank selector valve that would work    FV1T  you can find these for about $40 on ebay
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:08:37 PM by steve-0 »

8683jb

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 09:33:14 AM »
Don't throw those old switches away. As Outsider said, a new plunger can be made and the switch can be saved. I made mine from a piece of phenolic that I turned down to the correct diameter on a lathe, rounding the contact end slightly. After a good cleaning, reassemble with a little dielectric grease and it's good to go!
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

Torque

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 11:16:30 AM »
 I fixed 2 of them by turning new plungers out of a piece of delrin (hard tough plastic) looks like it's going to work fine.