Author Topic: how to change front tires  (Read 7753 times)

steve-0

• Administrator
how to change front tires
« on: December 27, 2011, 01:21:32 PM »
i just replaced the tires on a set of combat rims.

tires are $340 each. flaps $20 each and tubes $35 each. plus shipping and tax.

the tires you will find available are made by specialty tire of america. 12 ply, load range F
if you call lucas or cooker they will tell you they stock STA tires which stands for "specialty tire of america.
i bought mine from lucas because they where close. i never did check the price direct from specialty tire of america.

http://www.stausaonline.com/light-truck/non-directional.html
https://www.universaltire.com/825-20-sta-military-ndt.html
http://store.cokertire.com/sta-ndt-military-825-20.html
http://www.lucasclassictires.com/

ok now to the tire removal

if you have the typical been on there 60 years tires then the outer ring will be on there tight. you should have no problem removing the bolts. there are also two pins that help align the ring but they are not a tight fit so thats not what is holding the ring (don't drill them out thinking that is the problem).

after prying and even using a forklift to try and remove the ring i ended up doing the following.
get a sawzall and cut a section out of the tire, then using a sharp chisel, hammer it into the steel bands at the bead of the tire.
this works very well.
then remove the tire and using a sledge, tap the ring to remove.

colkking

Re: how to change front tires
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 04:57:47 PM »
Thanks again, Steve!
My local tire guy can't get the tires off the rims--just got my sawzall blades and will try your method (plan b is to burn them off)  :-)
Tanks,
kk

vj

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 07:32:42 PM »
steve. thanks.  I got  two tires to change. I did not know how to  change them. wendell

Smadge

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 04:30:38 AM »
I cut mine off with a sawzall and crowbar.   
1941 M2-232 Autocar (restoring)
MVPA Member

HenryVIII

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 07:10:40 AM »
Hi Guys, I went through the process of removing the original tires from combat rims a while ago. On mine there was a band with about 5 or 6 spacers that press against the inside of the beads. This is to keep the bead from breaking if the tire goes flat. It is between the flap and the rim. There are some pictures in one of my parts books somewhere but I cannot find them now. I took mine to a tire shop after I could not get them off myself thinking the tires could be saved. He ended up cutting them off with a sawzall. He had never seen the anything like those spacers before. When you tighten the bolts they bite into the rubber of the bead. I think that is why the bolts vs snap ring.

What I learned is how to remove the tire without destroying it.
Remove the bolts,   Remove the outer ring from the ring,  You now have to press off the tire from the backside of the rim as a complete assembly. tire tube flap and band with cast iron spacers. (its called a lock ring)

The other method for removal is of course the sawzall and a box of blades.

Good luck. No matter how you remove them it is a pain.

Henry           

47lincsled

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 03:46:34 PM »
 The local sawmill used half-tracks back in the 50's to skid logs,when I got to the point of trying to dismantle a tire and rim I went and talked to one of the old timers that used to work in the tire shop,he said they never bothered trying to take them apart,when they got a few with ruined tires they would throw them on a pile of scrap wood throw on some gas and light them,the next day after it all cooled off they could take them apart!
  I used the sawzall and chisel method,works well on WW2 Dodge rims as well.

mfrance

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 06:51:29 PM »
Summit racing has military tires most don't know about. also next day they are at your house 

8683jb

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 08:18:32 PM »
Summit is where I got mine and they had free shipping for orders over 99.00. Not next-day, but for free I can wait a few days!
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

coreyelliott

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 11:47:32 PM »
Interesting.  They do show our size NDT on their website for $366 USD.  How does that price compare to those of you that bought them through Specialty Tires of America (STA)? 

Corey
1941 Autocar M2A1 (M2-13)