Author Topic: Fork lifting a halftrack  (Read 392 times)

brit plumber

Fork lifting a halftrack
« on: July 30, 2020, 01:11:46 PM »
Has anyone lifted their halftrack with a fork lift, and if so, where did you place the forks?

RB-058

Re: Fork lifting a halftrack
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 02:15:24 PM »
If you use the two telehandlers I suggest 1 underneath the front bumper as close to the radiator as you can and 1 just above the rear bed and ty it up to the chassis. Lift it and back out of the tautliner. Make sure you have enough equipment available (lashes, endless loops, ratchets etc.) and be creative when you go. Make sure your load is secure and always keep an eye on your load when lifting to see how it reacts in the first centimeters/ inches. I don't see a real opportunity to lift it with a forklift from underneath as there is too much in your way (wheels, track, armor, oil pan, transmission etc. etc.) plus your balance point will be not ideal as well with the engine in and no rear armor. I don't see a unambiguous solution as there are so much variables. Safest solution I see is:
- 4 anchor points (left and right, front and aft);
- secure your load;
- eyeball your load as you start and go.

Rob
1943 White Halftrack M4A1

spec4don

Re: Fork lifting a halftrack
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 07:08:35 PM »
I use a forklift to move my other halftrack. I pick the back under the frame, hook a chain to it and move it where it needs to be!

Don G.
1941 M2A1 not restored
1942 M3 Diamond T Mostly restored
1943 M3A1 Under restoration
1967 M51A2 Tractor
1945 WC 63 needs restoration
1967 M36 Long wheel base duece
1951 M135 GMC Fire truck conversion